Banana Bread (Gluten and Dairy Free)
With two little ones growing every single day I am always looking for healthy breakfast ideas or snacks to have on hand at all time. Sometimes a fun twist on a healthy tradition is just what they need to realize that you can still enjoy while maintaining healthy habits.
Today I had three extra hands in helping make this delicious banana bread with mini chocolate chips added! They couldn’t keep their hands off of tasting a few of the sweets before baking it, but they were so ready for it to be done as the smell filled the house (even the hubs said it smelled so good!).
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 rounded cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium or 2 large bananas – and get them super ripe and sweet)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free all purpose flour (or sub whole wheat pastry flour or regular whole wheat flour)
- Optional mix-ins, a must in our house: 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips (I used mini chips)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan with coconut oil or coconut oil spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk the applesauce and honey together together. Add the eggs and beat well, then whisk in the mashed bananas and almond milk.
- Add the baking soda, vanilla, salt and cinnamon, and whisk to blend. Then fold in the flour, mixing just until the batter is combined.
- If you’re adding any additional mix-ins, add now.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes before slicing